Code:

Monday, September 12, 2011

Jonah and the Whale

At the end of August we started a min-unit in our house on oceans.  I though it was more than appropriate to begin the unit learning about Jonah and the Whale.  We read a short book that I found at Mardel's about Jonah and we also tried to watch the Veggie Tale's version of the story on youtube.  Unfortunately we only saw a small portion of it because we were having technical difficulties.  I'm still hoping we can pick up a copy somewhere.  

I found this idea for the whale somewhere on line.  I can't remember where, or I would post the site.  You won't see Oliver doing this craft because it was during his morning nap time.

I made a person figure out of pipe cleaners to act as Jonah.



Elliott put Jonah in a paper bag that was partially stuffed with newspapers.  This bag would soon be turned into a whale.


 We closed the bag and tied it with a piece of yarn.  Elliott painted the whale blue and I helped to fill in the blank spots. 


After it was dry we added fins, wiggly eyes, a mouth, and a spout.  Here's Elliott practicing his scissors skills while he cuts the paper for the spout.  When he was finished I rolled the paper, cut a hole in the top of the whale, inserted the spout and taped it down. 


 Here's the finished product.  Such a cute little whale!


The Jonah we put in this whale does not come out.  However, we made another Jonah from pipe cleaners for Elliott to pretend play with.

No comments:

Post a Comment